On the second day of 2014, XR and I decided do the #100happydays challenge! It’s day 3 today and I haven’t posted a thing, I don’t have much to post about sigh am I gonna fail?! Nothing interesting to post though ugh..but I’m happy ^.^
Anyway, that day we also finally made salted egg yolk prawns for dinner!
Tweaked the batter a bit by adding beer and now it’s beer-battered salted egg yolk prawns. Sounds so much cooler, more adult hehe. Recipe under the cut! Sadly no pics because I haven’t uploaded them…hm there needs to be a wireless way to do this.
• • • • • • • • • •
300-350g fresh prawns
1 normal chicken egg, beaten
200g corn flour for dusting
1 cup vegetable oil, or enough to submerge entire prawn while frying
4 salted duck eggs yolks (refer to prep step 2)
1 bulb garlic, minced
1.5 tbsp good butter
1-2 tbsp sugar, to taste
salt, to taste
chopped chilli padi if you like heat
curry leaves if you can get your hands on them
chopped spring onion
- salt the prawns and ‘marinate’ for 30 min or more
- put 4 salted duck eggs in boiling water for 7 minutes. remove the egg whites to get only the yolks, then crumble the yolk
deep frying prawns, high heat
- add some beer (however much you want but not like a whole can i guess) to beaten chicken egg
- using a fork (or whatever utensil you like), dip prawns in mixture, then transfer egg-coated prawns to corn flour to coat
- then deep-fry the prawns for ~10s and drain in bowl with paper towel. will probably have to do in several batches
- when done, drain oil, reserving ~1 tbsp in pan
salted egg goodness, medium-high heat
- melt butter in pan with reserved oil
- add minced garlic, curry leaves and chili padi til aromatic
- add crumbled salted egg yolk, sugar and salt, and fry til you get a golden bubbly mixture
- add deep fried prawns and coat evenly
- dish up and sprinkle chopped spring onion
• • • • • • • • • •
Please send me pics and tell me how it goes if you decide to try it out!
K so on the third day, Xr and I travelled to Sheffield to visit my cousin’s family. Finally met my baby niece, Olivia! She’s sooo adorbz but also a real handful. A really cheerful, cheeky kid hehe. It’s our second night here and we’ll return to Nottingham tmr, with a week of nerding awaiting us ermahgerd. Exams are starting in a week *cries* IDUNWAN >: IKINNUT >: NuuUUuuUuUu. But I kinda miss Notts even though I’ve only been away for 2 days. Think I miss my snacks, mostly. The week before this I spent days hiding in my room if I’m not out grocery shopping, constantly nibbling on chocolates and other random shiz omg. My cousin also speculated last night that Olivia’s so hyper and energetic cuz when she was preggers she had alot of spicy food and chocolates, which are two of my major vices too!!! GGxx man. So today I decided to try kurb my craving. And I’m proud to announce that I think I haven’t had chocolates in 36 hours! ^_^ This is something I’m happy about and would like to post for the 100happydays thing lor but how. Selfie can?
Ps. wtf I think I just spelled ‘curb’ as ‘kurb’ ……